Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Farm Dam stocking

We have two dams on the property, one in front oft he house used for water for veggie gardns, taps outside etc and the other "over the ridge and far away" isn; tused.  For soem time we had been thinking about stockign it so I finally got off my butt grabbed a dook from the libary and orderd some Yabbies and Glass Shrimp (for yabbies to eat)

The idea is to let them breed up for a year, and then stock the Dam with some Silver Perch or some Bass next year.  I think it's a good lookin' Dam, as far as Farm Dams go :)

Southern Dam, the one to be stocked

They arrived today, I had to go into town to pick them up.
Yabbies and Glass Shrimp in styrofoam boxes
Packed in two styrofoam boxes.  Here's what a "box of yabbies" looks like

A box of yabbies !

 I put the shrimp, in their bag, into the Dam water to equalise the water temperature a little and then started seeding the Dam in various locations with the yabbies

You will obey your new Yabbie overlords !
 and then did the same thing with the Shrimp.

I was advised to leave them for a year before adding the fish, Perch or Bass or perhaps both.

I still have to put some logs, branches, snags etc in the Dam for them to hide in.  The fish will eat Yabbies and Shrimp.

I will come back in a couple months and try to catch a few, see how things are going !

0 comments:

Post a Comment